At Your Service

Need an answer to a tenancy or other issue that affects where you live? See our information leaflets below

Feedback and Complaints

Feedback & Complaints

We want to provide the best possible service and always want to do better. We ask customers for feedback, so we can learn and improve.

Here is our Feedback & Complaints leaflet for more information.

To know more ring Patricia Carmody 0161 232 5693 or email or submit your feedback or complaint online here.

If your complaint falls within the jurisdiction of the Financial Ombudsman Service and is not resolved by our own procedure, you may be entitled to refer it to the Financial Ombudsman Service. Please see their website at:, or phone 0800 023 4 567

Equipment and Adaptations for your Home

Equipment & Adaptations for your Home

To live independently in your home, you may need to adapt it to make things easier.

Here are some typical items that could be fitted to your home:

Lever taps/Grabs rails/Sensory equipment/Walk-in showers/Stair lifts

For more information and how to apply for adaptations, please click here to see our information leaflet.

Dealing with Domestic Abuse

We are committed to dealing with domestic abuse

The Mosscare Housing Group condemns all forms of domestic abuse and constantly seeks to provide high quality advice, support and practical assistance to tenants who are the victims of domestic abuse, within the constraints of existing resources.

We take all reports of domestic abuse seriously and work with the victim and other agencies to find appropriate solutions. Our policy aims to ensure that a fair, consistent and sympathetic service is received by everyone, irrespective of the perceived level of abuse that they are experiencing. 

In an emergency situation always ring the police on 999.

For more information please click here to see our information leaflet.

Equality and Diversity

Equality & Diversity

The Mosscare Housing Group has a long standing commitment to equality and fairness and a zero tolerance approach on all forms of discrimination, harassment and victimisation.  Everyone who comes into contact with the Group has the right to be treated with dignity and respect.

For more information please click here for our information leaflet. 

Get Involved and Have Your Say

Get involved & have your say!

We want to improve our services for residents and the wider community. You can help us do this by getting more involved in what we do about such things as:

-Repairs and maintenance of your home 
-Anti-social behaviour in your neighbourhood
-Paying rent
-Customer service standards

For more information please click here for our information leaflet.

Getting a Home with us

Getting a Home with us

We provide quality housing in over 4,500 social rented properties in Manchester, Stockport and surrounding areas. Most properties are available only through an online ‘bidding’ scheme which will feature properties owned by us, other partner housing associations and the local authority.

You can read our Getting a Home with us information leaflet to find out how to apply.

Help with Paying your Rent

Help with paying your rent

Your rent pays for your home – we do not want you to lose it. If you have problems paying your rent, ring us on 0161 232 5642/5647 immediately. We have a team of experienced staff who can help with budgeting and benefits advice. We can also refer you to agencies that provide training and return to work opportunities.

You can find out more information by reading our leaflet here or by visiting the webpage here.

Home Ownership

Home Ownership

Would you like to buy or part-buy your home but never thought it was possible?

We have a range of home ownership schemes that you could take advantage of, whether or not you are currently a tenant with us.

For more information on what schemes we have and how you can be a part of them, read our leaflet here.

How To Pay Your Rent

How to Pay Your Rent

How much do I pay?

Your tenancy agreement tells you the amount you need to pay. Your rent increases every year if you are an assured tenant, or every two years if you have a fair rent tenancy. This is to pay for the increases in our costs for providing you with repairs and other services. Check your tenancy agreement to see which tenancy you have. We will give you at least 4 weeks’ notice in writing before your rent increases.

For information on how to pay your rent read our information leaflet here.

Repairs to Your Home

We want to keep your home in good repair. You need to tell us as soon as you can, if something we are responsible for needs to be repaired. You need to repair or replace the things you are responsible for in good time as well.

For more information on who is responsible for repairs, click here to look at the leaflet.

To report a repair, go here.

Moving Out of Your Home

Moving out of your home

Giving notice of your moving out date

You need to give us four weeks’ notice in writing or call into one of our offices and complete a form with your Neighbourhood Officer.

The notice period will begin on the first Monday after your notice that you are moving out is received. If in exceptional circumstances you cannot give 4 weeks’ notice (for example, you are fleeing domestic violence) you will still need to contact us to tell us you are leaving or have left the property.

For more information about moving out of your home, read our information leaflet here.

Pest Control

Pest Control Problems

If you have a problem with pest control you will need to organise to have your home treated to eradicate the problem.

If you are a Mosscare Housing tenant and have problems with rats, mice, cockroaches, beetles, fleas, squirrels and ants (inside properties) you can book a free treatment by ringing 0161 234 5000. The treatment will be paid for by Mosscare unless the problem is caused by misuse of the property. Treatments can usually be booked in within 10 days.

Mosscare Tenants:For more information, including how to get treatment with other pests, read our information leaflet here.

Mossbank Tenants:

If you are a Mossbank Homes tenant and have problems with rats, mice, cockroaches, beetles, fleas, squirrels, pigeons, ants (inside your home) and wasps you can book a free treatment by ringing 0161 474 8340.

The treatment will be paid for by Mossbank unless the problem is caused by  misuse of the property. Treatments can usually be booked in  within 10 days, but may take longer in certain circumstances or busy periods. 

Tell us if you would  like a copy of this in:

  • Large Print
  • Audio Format
  • Braille
  • Another Language

To contact us:

Telephone: 0161 474 8340



Say NO to Hate Crime

Say NO to Hate Crime

In accordance with the Equality Act 2010 and our Equality & Diversity Policy, we offer protection for any person with a protected characteristic such as age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage & civil partnership, pregnancy & maternity, race, religion & belief (including non-observance, sex and sexual orientation.) See our film Say NO to hate crime.



It is an option for any individual police service to add additional categories under 'Alternative sub-culture hate crime'. From April 2013 GMP records Goths and Emos as an 'Alternative sub-culture related hate crime' following on from work carried out in partnership with the Sophie Lancaster Foundation.

Hate crime or harassment is any crime committed against a person or property that the victim (or any other person) believes is motivated by the offender's hatred towards that person because of any of the abovementioned protected characteristics.

Mosscare is a 3rd party reporting centre and as such incidents can be reported to our staff in confidence and they are trained to deal with such reports. This can be helpful where residents do not feel comfortable going to a police station. You can remain anonymous.

You should report any incidents of verbal abuse, physical abuse, threats of violence, hate mail, social media content or nuisance behaviour if it is perceived to be motivated by hate.

What will we do?

We will act with your permission to do one or more of the following 

  1. Interview the person you say is harassing you
  2. Issue a warning for breach of tenancy if they are one of our tenants
  3. Work with other agencies to resolve the issue
  4. Pass the information to the police
  5. Start legal proceedings
  6. Arrange for removal of offensive graffiti within 24 hours of reporting

We will keep you informed at all stages of the process. We maybe able to help you security lighting and CCTV, fireproof letterboxes or alarms and lifelines.

Report hate crime here or ring us 0161 226 4211


Sheltered Housing

A guide to sheltered housing

Are you a single person or a couple, aged 55 or over, looking for a new home?

Supported Housing offers you all the comfort of independent living, with the added peace of mind of on-site support.  Sheltered housing is not like a care home. Residents live independently in a development schemes with self-contained flats. Schemes have communal spaces for residents to meet and socialise.

For more information on sheletered housing, its benefits and how to apply, read our information leaflet here.

Tackling Anti-Social Behaviour

Tackling Anti-Social Behaviour (ASB)

It covers any behaviour, by an individual or group, which makes another person or group feel harassed or threatened. It includes a variety of behaviours that can blight the quality of community life. ASB may include nuisance, annoyance, harassment or criminal activity. It is behaviour that lacks consideration for others and may cause damage to the community whether intentionally or through negligence.  

Anyone can be affected by ASB, not just people living in a property that we own or manage but also anyone living or working in these neighbourhoods.

For more information, including our stance on Anti-Social Behaviour and the process of reporting, read our information leaflet here.

To report ASB

• You can report ASB on our website

• You can email

• You can report ASB on 0161 226 4211

• You can visit one of our offices

Taking in a Lodger

Taking in a Lodger

Your tenancy agreement has a clause about taking in lodgers. The detail of each clause varies from agreement to agreement but generally it says that before taking in a lodger you must tell us. If we have a good reason, we may tell you that you can’t take in a lodger.

Taking in a lodger means that you continue to live at the property as your main home, but that you let someone stay with you. That person pays you something while they lodge with you. Typically people take in lodgers because they have a spare bedroom.

If you want to take in a lodger you must

  1.  Tell us and give us the details, such as the lodger’s name, gender and date of birth.
  2.  Tell us when they move in and when they move out.
  3.  Decide what occupancy agreement you want to use with your lodger. We tell everyone who wants to take a lodger in, to get proper legal advice about any occupancy agreement. You can not create a tenancy!
  4.  Get legal advice on how you can make a lodger leave if you need to.
  5.  Tell us what charge you want to make. We will tell you what we think is a reasonable charge.
  6.  Decide what checks you will carry out on anyone who will be a lodger.
  7.  Get proper advice about how the income from a lodger might affect how much benefit you receive.

Be clear about

  •  Arrangements for paying utility bills and the council tax.
  •  Arrangements for paying for items like, toilet rolls and washing up liquid.
  •  Arrangements for keeping your home clean and tidy.
  •  Whatever rules you want to set about how you expect your lodger to conduct themselves.

Remember that their conduct will reflect on you as you are responsible for anyone staying with you or visiting you.

Contact your Neighbourhood Officer on 0161 226 4211 for advice about taking in a lodger.

Or email: or

Transfer or Exchange Your Home

Transfer or exchange your home

You can transfer or exchange your property in a variety of different ways for several reasons. Your ability to transfer and exchange may rely on the length of your occupancy, your personal circumstances or other deciding factors.

For more information on how transferring or exchanging your home works and how to apply, read our leaflet here.

Data Protection

Data Protection - A guide to information we hold about you

To provide you with the best and most appropriate services we need your help in giving us accurate and up to date personal information.

This information leaflet tells you what we do with your information in line with the Data Protection Act.


Pets in Flats/Apartments

If you live in a flat or apartment you must seek permission from us if you want to keep a pet. While we recognise the benefits of responsible pet ownership, our guidelines have been designed to ensure that nuisance is not caused to neighbours or suffering caused to pets.

For more information, read our leaflet here.

Asbestos-Our commitment to making your home safer


Asbestos was commonly used in buildings up until the 1980’s.  It does not pose a risk to health if it is undamaged or in a position where it can not be easily disturbed. 

The Mosscare Housing Group policy is in line with the Health and Safety Executive’s recommendations.  This is to leave asbestos in position unless it is in an unsatisfactory condition or likely to be subject to frequent disturbances or where it can be removed as part of a repair, improvement or alteration.  This section explains how we deal with asbestos. 

What does the Mosscare Housing Group do about asbestos? 

We have a long term commitment to remove asbestos from all our properties.  We do not need to remove all asbestos from our properties in the short term.  This is because there is only a risk to health if asbestos fibres are breathed in and asbestos is usually found in locations where it is extremely unlikely that this will happen. 

However, we would like to reassure you that asbestos containing materials form an integral and important part of many premises and if well maintained do not present any threat to health. 

In the short term we are surveying key properties so that we can assess the presence, type and condition of any asbestos there is.  We can then decide what we will do about it. 

You will be advised of the existence of asbestos in your home and of any measure you should take in order not to disturb or damage it.



Where is asbestos found in houses, garages, sheds and other structures? 

Asbestos is most usually found in these locations

  • Insulation of pipes and boilers
  • Fire break walls in lofts, fire protection in ducts, firebreaks, panels, partitions, soffit boards, ceiling panels and around steel work
  • Insulation boards to partitions and ducts
  • Some ceiling and floor tiles
  • Paper products used for insulation of electrical equipment
  • Asbestos cement flat or corrugated sheets used as roofing and wall cladding, gutters, rainwater pipes and water tanks.
  • Certain textured coatings e.g. Artex 

I think I have asbestos in my house but have not removed it – why? 

Dependant on the level of risk, asbestos may be left in place if it is not a danger and unlikely to be disturbed or it may be sealed with paint or plastic film. 

My landlord has found asbestos in my neighbour’s home, when will they survey mine? 

If your neighbour’s home is of a similar type and age we can assume that the results would be similar and therefore do not need to bother you to do a survey. 

Why has my landlord removed asbestos from empty properties but not from mine? 

When a property is empty, this is the ideal opportunity to remove it with minimal risk and inconvenience. 

What do I do if I suspect the materials containing asbestos in my home are damaged? 

Report it to us.  We will inspect it to determine if you are at risk. 


We recognise the risk associated with asbestos and acknowledge our responsibility to reduce the exposure to asbestos of its employees, tenants, contractors and other people affected by its activates so far as is reasonably practicable.  To achieve this, we have implemented a programme of actions identifying, recording and managing asbestos (including safe working arrangements) in properties it controls, using a risk assessment tool, this work is carried out in a planned and systematic manner. 

Can I decorate and carry out DIY? 

Yes – but you must take note of the advice relating to any asbestos which may be present in your home.  Asbestos should not be disturbed or rubbed down (See Do’s and Don’ts below).  If your improvements are likely to increase the asbestos risk then you have to comply with the asbestos regulations and use specialist licensed contractors.  Remember, you need our written permission if you want to improve your home.



Do contact us immediately in any of the following circumstances

  • If materials that you believe may contain asbestos have been damaged or disturbed
  • If protective coatings or sealants are peeling or breaking off or special warning labels have been removed
  • If the surface of asbestos cement based products such as you guttering or shed roofs which normally have a hard durable surface is brakon due to damage, badly weathered or eroded. 


  • Work, damage or remove materials containing asbestos.  The law requires licensed contractors to be used for all work on asbestos
  • Sand down or scrape of dry Artex
  • Drill, cut or sand materials you may think contain asbestos.  These tools create dust
  • Break off pieces or break up large pieces of materials that you believe contain asbestos
  • Jet wash or clean down asbestos cement products e.g. shed/garage roofs


If you have any questions or concerns about asbestos in you home which are not dealt with in this handbook, please contact us.

Smoke Detectors

Ensuring that smoke alarms fitted in your property are working properly and maintained annually could help save your home and the lives of you and your family. 

On average 50,000 fires in the home are reported yearly and kill nearly 500 and injure over 11,000.  Many of these could have been prevented if people had an early warning and were able to get out in time. 

As part of the annual gas service one of our engineers will check the operation of your smoke detectors.  They will service detectors and replace any faulty units with 10 year sealed smoke detectors. 

It is the tenant’s responsibility to change the batteries in the smoke detectors fitted in your property.  Always check the battery regularly, replacing it with necessary, and never remove it for other purposes. 

If you do not have a gas supply to your property you will receive a letter from us asking you to make contact to arrange the annual service of your smoke detectors.  Please ensure that you make contact. 

If you would like more information or would like to book the annual service of your smoke detectors please contact us by one of the methods listed below. 

Free phone repairs:  0800 027 0667

Free phone servicing: 0800 027 9771